Midvale Elementary School Parent Involvement Policy
o Midvale Elementary School agrees to be governed by the following statutory definition of parental involvement, and will carry out programs, activities and procedures in accordance with this definition:
Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring—
(A) parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
(B) parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
(C) that parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
(D) the carrying out of other activities, such as those described in section 1118 of the ESEA.
Midvale Elementary School agrees to implement the following requirements:
1. Midvale Elementary School agrees to have a Title I Annual Meeting
· to provide an explanation of the Title I School-wide Program, requirements, and parents right to be involved in the program
· to explain Student Academic Standards and Assessment
· to describe the school’s High Quality Curriculum
· to provide information about Parent Resources to help parents work with their children to improve academic achievement
2. Midvale Elementary School agrees to inform parents of their Right to Know, including information about: [Section IIII(h)(6)(A & B), ESEA]
· the professional qualifications of the student’s classroom teachers and paraprofessionals providing services to the child
· provide notice when a child’s teacher is not highly qualified
· provide information on the level of achievement of the child in each of the state academic assessments
3. Midvale Elementary School will develop with parents a Parent-School Compact outlining how parents, the entire school staff, and students will share the responsibility for improved student achievement.
4. Midvale Elementary School will jointly develop with, agree upon, and distribute to parents in a language the parents can understand, its own written Family Involvement Policy. This policy will include:
· Title I Annual Meeting – to explain the Title I program, requirements, and parents right to be involved in the program.
· Materials will be disseminated to parents at regular Title I parent meetings, School Community Council meetings, and parent/teacher conferences. Written and oral input from parents will be solicited through Title I parent meetings, School Community Council meetings, parent/teacher conferences, school newsletters, school web site, and other regular written communications with parents. (section 1118(b) of the ESEA)
· Additional meetings will be held at various and convenient times to encourage parents to attend. Parents will be notified about meetings through school memos, newsletters, the web page, and posted on the school marquee. Title I funds may be used to pay related expenses.
· Involve parents in planning, review, and improvement of Title I programs. Midvale Elementary School will periodically update its Parental Involvement Policy to meet the changing needs of parents and the school through:
Ø School Community Council meetings
Ø Title I meetings
Ø PTA meetings
Ø General School meetings
· Provide timely information about Title I programs, curriculum, assessments, proficiency levels, opportunities for parent input, and prompt response to parent suggestions.
· Midvale Elementary School will provide parents with opportunity to submit dissenting views if the plan is not acceptable to them.
Ø Parents may submit comments in writing regarding the school wide plan to their child’s teacher, the Title I Coordinator, the principal, or the appropriate department within Canyons School District. (1114)(b)(2)
5. Midvale Elementary School will strive to Build Capacity for Involvement in the following ways:
· Program Information for Parents – provide assistance in understanding achievement standards, assessments, and monitoring their children’s progress and work with educators to improve their achievement.
· Materials and Training – provide materials and training in literacy, technology, helping parents to work with their children to improve achievement, and foster parental involvement.
· Educate Educators – educate staff and personnel in the value of parent contributions and how to work with parents as equal partners, implement parent programs, and build ties between parents and the school.
· Preschool Coordination – coordinate and integrate parental involvement with Head Start and other preschool programs to encourage more participation in their children’s education.
· Family Nights and Other Requested Activities – to provide reasonable support for parental involvement.
· Parental Information and Resource Centers (PIRCs) – inform parents about the availability of such centers and other resources such as web sites, parent organizations, adult education classes, etc.
6. Midvale Elementary School agrees to provide Key Title I Parental Notice Requirements received from Canyons School District in an understandable format in a language parents can understand. The following notifications are required:
· Schools Identified for School Improvement, corrective action, or restructuring
· Progress Review - the results of the yearly progress review
· Annual Report Card – disaggregated by subgroups
· School Choice – the right to transfer when schools are identified for school improvement
· SES – notice of supplemental education services
· Schools Identified for Restructuring – provide opportunity to participate in restructuring plan
· Written Parental Involvement Policy
· Parents’ Right to Know – teacher and paraprofessional qualifications